Our Church History

Posted on July 11, 2013.


South Park Baptist Church was organized January 17, 1943, as North Main Street Baptist Church at 3516 North Main Street, with thirteen charter members. On July 16, 1944 the name was changed to Boyce Street Missionary Baptist Church and on October 14, 1944 the church occupied the location at 717 W. Boyce Street. The church voted to move again and change the name to Hemphill Street Baptist Church. The first service held at 4559 Hemphill was on February 23, 1958. A new sanctuary was built and the first service was held on April 22, 1962. After the church outgrow these facilities two acres were purchased at 7201 Crowley Road and the name was changed to South Park Baptist Church. The first service in these facilities was held on April 12, 1970. In April of 1987 the addition new offices and a fellowship hall was completed. The sanctuary and foyer was remodeled in October of 1992.Since that time, a family life center has been added and the education building has been remodeled.The church currently owns 5.25 acres.

Men Who Have Pastored the Church

H. W. Breeding - Organization to September 1943

Hoyt Hefner Sr. - October 1943 to March 1945

Richard R. Anderson - June 1945 to December 1947

J. E. Hollingsworth - February 1948 to November 1949

R. C. Dickey - January 1950 to January 1955

Charles F. McElyea Sr. - April 1955 to May 1957

Wilson W. Deen (Interim) - June 1957 to August 1957

Gaylan Henry - August 1957 to August 2012

Coy Quesenbury (Interim) - August 2012 to June 2013

David Pickard - June 2013 to Present



 Boyce Street Baptist 1944



Hemphill Street Baptist 1958



South Park Baptist 1970